Social Sciences: Anthropology/Sociology, Political Science and Economics
Convinced that it has a special responsibility to prepare students for the ever-changing demands of contemporary society, the department provides disciplinary and methodological instruction and practice in the social sciences. To this end, courses are offered in anthropology, economics, geography, political science, sociology and social sciences research methodology. The department awards the B.A. degree in four programs: anthropology and sociology; economics; political science; and interdisciplinary social sciences.
The four social science degree programs at Western provide students with a holistic understanding and critical appreciation of the cultural, political, social and economic elements of society. The department curriculum presents a broad-based foundation in the social sciences while offering a rich and diverse range of degree programs and options.
To accomplish this mission, the Department of Social Department:
- Emphasizes on social research methodology and analytical skills.
- Provide a personalized learning environment for students through faculty mentored undergraduate research opportunities and cooperative education research.
- Prepares students for graduate education in the social sciences and allied fields.
- Assist students in discerning appropriate careers through advising.
- Foster the growth and development of faculty through research, attendance at professional meetings, developing and directing public forums and discipline-related training workshops, and publication and presentation of scholarly work.
- Fosters the growth and development of faculty and their students through supporting research, attendance at professional meetings, and presentation and publication of scholarly work.
- Collaborates with media-industry professionals in the tri-state area to support professional growth of faculty as well as internship opportunities for students.
The allied fields of anthropology and sociology offer ways of understanding the world that are fundamental to many courses of study. Anthropology and sociology look at everyday life in the context of groups, societies and cultures to which humankind contribute. The program is designed to provide background for varied business, government and social service careers as well as for advanced graduate studies in a wide area of disciplines. There is an anthropology/sociology and elementary education option for students desiring to become elementary school teachers.
The economics program provides students with an understanding and appreciation of the economic behavior of individuals, business and society. The focus is on social outcomes of economic transactions and events, as well as on economic performance. Economics is taught as part of a liberal arts education at Western and provides an especially relevant background for careers in business or government, as well as for graduate study in economics, law or business.
B.A.: POLITICAL SCIENCE
Students of political science are given an opportunity to develop a critical understanding of the political aspects of society. They are provided with a practical background for a variety of legal, government, public and social service careers, and a preparation for graduate studies in political science, as well as in related fields, such as pre-law. There is a political science and elementary education option for students desiring to become elementary school teachers.
B.A.: SOCIAL SCIENCES
This interdisciplinary major provides students with both a broad-based foundation in the social sciences and with a variety of course choices, allowing a student to focus on a specific topic or theme, such as global studies, family studies, or multi-cultural studies.
Minor Program Information:
- Minor in Anthropology
- Minor in Conflict Resolutionopens PDF file
- Minor in Cultural Resource Management
- Minor in Economics
- Minor in Geographyopens PDF file
- Minor in International Studiesopens PDF file
- Minor in Multi-cultural Studies with elective African-American focusopens PDF file
- Minor in Political Science
- Minor in Sociology
- Minor in Urban Studiesopens PDF file
- Minor in Women’s Studiesopens PDF file