Student Annual Scholarships and Awards
Students, please read the following information:
University-wide and School of Professional Studies Departmental Scholarships
- All University-wide and departmental scholarships and their descriptions are located athttps://www.wcsu.edu/scholarships/.
- If you are interested in applying for a University-wide and/or departmental scholarship, you must complete a scholarship application and submit it to WCSU’s Student Financial Services, phone # 203-837-8580. The application form is located at https://www.wcsu.edu/scholarships/ . The website lists the deadlines for applying.
- Carefully read the scholarship’s criteria as seen on the website. For any scholarships that have financial need, if the student has not already documented financial aid need through WCSU’s Student Financial Services, the student should submit such documentation (e.g., external loans) along with their scholarship application.
- WCSU’s Office of Alumni Relations https://www.wcsu.edu/alumni/, phone # 203-837-8290, also provides scholarships. They have a separate application if you are interested in being considered for one of their scholarships.
- If you receive a scholarship, all scholarship funds will be placed through WCSU’s Bursar’s Office toward your next year’s tuition and fee bill(s).
- If you do not use the scholarship funds for the coming year, you may have to forfeit your scholarship monies. In those cases you should immediately contact WCSU’s Office of Student Financial Services and see if you can defer your funds toward a future time.
- Also, some of the SPS Departments have externally funded scholarships. See your department chair or the department’s scholarship committee chair if you are interested in being considered for such a scholarship.
- Last, there are several community external scholarships available to WCSU students. If you are interested in applying to these, please see such information on WCSU’s Student Financial Services website on how and when to apply.
- All internal scholarship recipients and their families are invited to the University’s Student and Donor Reception and Scholarship Ceremony held in early Fall of the next academic year.
School and Departmental Awards
Each semester the Dean identifies those full-time matriculant students in the School who have achieved a grade point average of B+ (3.50) in a minimum graded course load of twelve semester hours for a given semester. Also, part-time matriculant students who have a grade point average of B+ (3.50) and have completed a minimum graded course load of twelve semester hours over two successive academic semesters are eligible for the dean’s list.
The Dean’s Award recognizes academic excellence and breadth of knowledge exhibited throughout the student’s undergraduate and service career at WCSU.
All School and departmental awardees, (as well as student inductees of departmental honor societies) and their families will be invited to the School’s Annual Student Honors Convocation held in early May.
EDUCATION HONOR SOCIETY
The Education Honor Society recognizes education majors who exhibit the highest standards of the teaching professional and have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 during their second semester as a junior. Recipients must also be active members of the Education Club where they show involvement in community service projects and serve in leadership roles.
MISS RUMPHIUS AWARD
The Miss Rumphius Award for Outreach into the Community is given to an education student who best exemplifies Miss Rumphius in the children’s book by Barbara Cooney. The recipient must have gone beyond the usual scope of service to the community and made a real commitment and difference to a particular segment of the Danbury population. The plaque is awarded annually to the education student who has served the community best. There is not monetary attachment to the award. It is a humanitarian award.
DELTA KAPPA SOCIETY FLORA LISTERER AWARD
The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International is a professional honorary society of women educators. The Society promotes professional and personal growth of its members and excellence in education. Each year the local chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma awards a scholarship to an outstanding student at WCSU in the name of Flora Listerer, a Connecticut Educator.
STEPHEN K. LOVETT EDUCATION AWARDS
These academic achievement awards honor Dr. Stephen K. Lovett, chairman of the Education Department from 1963 to 1979 and President of the WCSU chapter of Phi Delta Kappa. They are presented annually to two senior education majors: one earning the highest quality point average in elementary education, and one earning the highest quality point average in secondary education.
MARIE C. WASER MEMORIAL EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIP
This award is given to an undergraduate student demonstrating academic excellence and leadership qualities in teacher education.
HEALTH PROMOTION AND EXERCISE SCIENCES AWARDS
INSTITUTE FOR HOLISTIC HEALTH STUDIES SCHOLARSHIP
This award is for a full time undergraduate student of outstanding character. Special consideration will be given to students with a demonstrated interest in complimentary & alternative medicine and community service. Preference will be given to majors from the School of Professional Studies.
ISOBEL DIEGO NURSING AWARD
This award was established in memory of Isobel Diego, who taught pediatric nursing at WCSU. The award is given to a student for excellence in maternal child nursing.
JANE C. THOMPSON NURSING AWARD
This award is given to a graduating senior who has demonstrated exceptional leadership and executive ability in nursing. Jane C. Thompson was a graduate of the Danbury Hospital School of Nursing. Her daughter sponsors the award.
ELEANOR M. KING AWARD
This award is presented to a graduating senior who has demonstrated superior ability in meeting patient needs and collaborating with members of the health team. The award honors Eleanor M. King, the first director of the Western Connecticut State University Nursing Program.
THE HELEN E. MIZER AWARD
This award honors Helen E. Mizer, former adviser and co-founder of Western’s Kappa Alpha Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau, international nursing honor society. The award is presented to a nursing senior who is active in Sigma Theta Tau and who has demonstrated leadership and academic achievement in nursing.*
MARYANN RILEY SCHOLARSHIP
In 1988, the Mary Ann Riley Scholarship was established by Kappa Alpha Chapter. The scholarship is awarded annually to a graduate student who fosters the ideals of Sigma Theta Tau International.
SIGMA THETA TAU INTERNATIONAL NURSING HONOR SOCIETY
This is the internal honor society for nursing students.
SOCIAL WORK AWARDS
BEATRICE K. NEMZER SOCIAL WORK AWARDS
The Beatrice K. Nemzer Social Work Awards are given in honor of Beatrice Nemzer, a professor emeritus of social work who embodies the professionalism and personal commitment of an exemplary social worker.
Junior Award: This award is given to a student who, in the successful completion of his/her junior year in the Department of Social Work, has demonstrated potential for excellence.
Senior Award: This award is given to a student in recognition of excellence in professionalism, academic achievement, participation in the social work program and University activities, and community involvement.
ALICE FALES SOCIAL WORK SERVICE AWARD
This award is named in honor of Alice Fales, Class of 1998, who set a high standard of academic achievement paired with service-directed activities which furthered both the success of department projects and supported the advancement of her peers. Awarded to a graduating Social Work Senior whose service to the Social Work Program and to fellow students exemplifies key values of the social work profession.
PHI ALPHA HONOR SOCIETY, CHI SIGMA CHAPTER
This is a national honor society for social work students. The membership reflects undergraduate scholarship and exemplary field performance.