World Languages and Cultures Department
The Department of World Languages & Cultures opens doors to the 21st century global economy with the continued growing demand for language skills for business, government, community groups, and international organizations.
In our language programs, students are encouraged to be critical thinking citizens and leaders of our increasingly interdependent world community. Our students learn to view the world from diverse perspectives, and to cross borders through effective communication based on an appreciation of cultural diversity.
Through the study of language, culture, translation, and great works, students gain access to professional opportunities: travel, promotions, and an edge in our increasingly competitive employment market. Language and culture proficiency gives students the power to think quickly from diverse viewpoints to make proposals, solve problems, and interact with diverse local and international populations, students, or clients. Even when bilingualism is not the deciding factor for initial employment, evidence confirms that language skills can enhance mobility and aid in admission to graduate study and job promotion.
Read what the Connecticut State Board of Education has to say here:
Why Study Languages?
Read with the National Education Association has to say here:
Global Competence as a 21st Century Imperative
Knowing foreign languages has been proven to aid the following:
- Meeting people to broaden your professional network
- Cognitive development, creativity, and critical thinking
- Career opportunities such as
- employment by international businesses
- employment in translation
- employment by export companies
- employment by foreign tourism
- employment in social services, hospitals, law enforcement, government, education, non-profit organizations
- employment abroad
- Intercultural business opportunities
- marketing to diverse populations
- management with supervisory duties
- Personal and professional advancement
- study abroad
- graduate admissions and study
- professional advancement and promotions
- travel for business and personal growth