Last updated 10/01/15
The next GROW program is:
Liar, Liar, Grade's On Fire!
Tuesday, October 6th @ 3:30 pm
Haas Library (behind the elevator)
Visit with staff from the Writing Center, and find out how to
properly source your research!
Taking Down Rape Culture
(part of Operation Jungle Red)
Thursday, October 8th
Ives Concert Hall (White Hall)
Office of Housing & Residence Life
Office of Diversity & Equity
Program Activities Council
Would you like to change rooms?
No changes are permitted during the first two weeks of class (to allow us to verify occupancy and make sure everyone's here who's supposed to be here). From now through October 12th, you'll be able to change rooms if space is available. Speak to your RD as soon as possible to let him/her know that you'd like to move. Room changes will be processed for one month.
If you're having trouble adjusting to your roommate, try these hints:
- Talk to them! Sounds easy, but sometimes you just haven't had a chance to really get to know them. Find out about where they're from, what they like, what their favorite food is.
- Talk some more! Dig a little deeper to get at some of the things that will make a real difference to you. Ask about their study habits (do they study in the room, or do they go to the library?) Do they go to bed early or late? Do they have friends over frequently? What kinds of music do they like? Are they loud in the morning? How do they feel about overnight guests?
- More questions? Really? Yes! Ask them about what ticks them off. See if they mind you borrowing their stuff. Ask them about keeping the door locked and your stuff secure. Ask their thoughts about drinking and if they plan to do it in the room.
- SHARE your thoughts and feelings on all these issues, too. It's not an inquisition so that it's just them on the hot seat - you need to be willing to put it out there, too.
- If you find you have things that aren't in common (like you go to bed by 11 pm, but they don't until 1 am), discuss how you can both be respected in what you need - like your roommate will not bring guests in after 10, and will leave the room to chat on the phone once you're in bed, and you'll do the same thing in the morning before they get up.
If you've tried all this and are still not making progress, talk to your RAs or RD. They'll have some suggestions, or may be able to help you and your roommies negotiate what's happening!