International Services

Social Security Number Checklist

How do I apply for a Social Security Number?

You will need to:

Be in validated F-1 visa status

Have been offered a job – (The Financial Aid office maintains a listing of available job opportunities on campus – )

Fill out the Employer’s Verification Form for your employer’s signature and submit to International Services for additional signature. This letter will be returned to you for submission to the SSA as part of your application.

  • Submit a completed Social Security Card application
  • Present your valid Passport
  • Present your valid Form I-20
  • Present your electronic I-94
  • Apply in person at the Social Security Administration, 131 West Street, Danbury, CT 06810 (There is no fee for this application.)
    Tel. 866-275-7821

Request a receipt or some type of proof that you have applied for your number. This receipt is required by Human Resources in University Hall to begin your employment on campus. Your employment paperwork will not be processed and you cannot begin working until Human resources receives proof that you have applied for a Social Security number.)

The Social Security Administration is required to confirm the immigration status of non-immigrant applicants through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Upon confirmation, an official Social Security Card with your individual Social Security Number will be mailed to the address listed on your application, usually within 2 weeks. Any inconsistency of information will delay the issuance of your card by up to 12 weeks.

Report your Social security Number to Human Resources, 1st floor, University Hall