Academics

Provost’s Award for Teaching

Mr. Thomas A. Miller receives Provost’s Award for Teaching 2023

Congratulations to Mr. Thomas A. Miller, Associate Professor, Justice and Law Administration.

Miller has been teaching at WCSU since 2014 and “feels humbled” to receive this award. “There are so many great professors at WCSU that are just as deserving of the award, so it’s an incredible compliment to be chosen,” Miller said. “Credit should especially go to my Moot Court Team students – their exceptional performance in competition last year made me look really good,” he joked.

As for why he chose to attend and then work at the university, Miller said, “WCSU is a great place to go to school and to work because it is a student-centered institution. I am grateful for what it gave me as a student. I will continue to do my best as a faculty member to ensure that WCSU remains the best value in higher education for many years to come.”

In his speech to faculty and staff when accepting the Provost’s Award for Teaching, Miller stated that teaching at a university is a privilege that cannot be taken lightly, especially now. “It’s the job of a university professor to teach students something the world hasn’t done a great job of lately, which is to value reason over rage and to recognize that the lungs are not the seat of knowledge. Our job is to teach students to base their opinions on the best available evidence instead of on personal convenience. I like to joke to myself that professors are generals in the war against ignorance.” He continued, “WCSU’s student body is one that is worth fighting for every day. WCSU is open to everyone regardless of social and economic background. No matter who you were in high school or your professional life beforehand, WCSU has a place for you.”

Read the full press release here.

Provost’s Award for Teaching – Previous Winners

Dr. Matthew Doiron Wins 2022 Provost’s Award for Teaching
Dr. Kristin Giamanco Wins 2021 Provost’s Award for Teaching
Dr. Stephanie Kuhn Wins 2020 Provost’s Award for Teaching
Ms. Sabrina Marques Wins 2019 Provost’s Award for Teaching
Dr. Edwin Wong Wins 2018 Provost’s Award for Teaching
Dr. Don Gagnon Wins First Provost’s Award for Teaching