Department of Art

Grier Torrence

Torrence_Cup That I Drink lighter

Visiting Artist Lecture

Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 11:00 am

Visual & Performing Arts Center
WCSU, Westside Campus

Grier Torrence received his BFA degree at Rhode Island School of Design and his MFA degree at Yale University. He also studied at Stanford University. He has taught at several art schools including Pratt and is currently the Visual Arts Director at Miss Porter’s School in Farmington, CT.

Grier is a recipient of numerous grants and awards, among them a Ford Foundation grant, an Ingram Merrill Foundation grant, and 4 residency awards at Vermont Studio Center. His works have been shown in many solo and group exhibitions and he is represented at Bowery Gallery in NYC.

In his own words, Torrence is “interested in the world within, the psychology of being, the spiritual. This is a devotion, a practice, and a process. Interiors and buildings interest me. There is a parallel. Light comes into a place. There is depth. . . The ideas that come, seem to me to be a gift, and my job is to serve as a conduit for them, in reverence to the creative force. Those whom I love, those who affect me, are here in my work.”

https://www.griertorrence.com/