Department of Art

Virtual Faculty Artist Talk

Colleen McGuire

WCSU Alumna, Painter & Adjunct Professor of Art
Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 6:00 pm

Free & Open to the Public
Zoom

Colleen McGuire is a professional artist whose work focuses on domestic interiors and scenes from ordinary life. Her process involves careful observation and attention to composition and light in order to emphasize painting’s traditional use of light and illusion. McGuire’s work relates to early modernist painters such as Hopper and Vuillard.

"I see my paintings as a visual record of places I encounter throughout my day, with the intention of capturing sensations of light and space. I am drawn to architecture and nature, different times of day, and the seasons. Finding motifs in surroundings that are familiar to me allows me to examine them deeply, with the hope of capturing the experience of seeing through the materiality of paint."

Colleen received a B.F.A. from SUNY Purchase and her M.F.A. from Western Connecticut State University. She has taught at Southern CT State University and currently teaches Studio Art courses at WCSU.

Register to attend via Eventbrite here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/art-faculty-lecture-series-colleen-mcguire-tickets-140014199239